Cheer Up: It's Christmas! “10”

Feeling down in the dumps because you've just realized that there are only three weeks left until Chrimbo, and you haven't actually gotten anything for anyone yet? Me too.

Ahh well, never mind. Christmas is all about family, and I'm sure mine will appreciate that when I tell them I haven't bought them anything.

Yeah, right.

How to use the Internet for your own seedy pleasure

Why not cheer yourself up with a few of my picks from the internet during this festive season?
Virgin Mobile are doing some brilliant stuff with religion and flash. Hitler's is becoming a respectable disco-führer. Sign up to the fabulous Popbitch email newsletter, full of very, very, very funny stuff (and far better than any of those magazines). Finally, buy yourself (or someone you love dearly) some Ballsies for Christmas.

10 Comments ~ Post a Comment

Blogger Fin: Mum-"Oh, alright then"
Kid-"Yaaaay!"

Anonymous Anonymous: Nice, Fintan. I liked the subtle Mom -> Mum conversion that was going on there.

Blogger Fin: It was deliberate. I want you to KNOW that it's Mum, and Mom sounds oh-so-strange when I (or anyone else with anything other than an American accent) says it.

Blogger Fin: lol Yeah well over here "mom" isn't a word so much as it is a brutal typing mistake. ;)

Blogger Fin: It's Mother's Day, but when we say it, it tends to sounds like "muther's", because "moffers" (phonetic) doesn't sound too appealing.

Anonymous Anonymous: Yeah, we pronounce it "muther" which is why it's still strange that we say "mom".
Actually, according to the American Heritage Dictionary, it's short for "mama". Do you Britons use that word? I can't imagine that you say "mumma" - that's quite illiterate. "Mama" either would mean "mother" or, in a vulgar sense, "wife" or "woman". It's also important to note that "Mama" is "a name under which Ninkhursag was worshipped". MOM also stands for "middle of month", in case there was any ambiguity there.
Isn't the English language fun? (Here is where any self-respecting Briton would say - "Correct - and it's our language, not yours! English language, understand?" And I would become livid and we would get into a brawl. Neither would win, and, therefore, we both empezaríamos de hablar español. And life would be good, albeit confusing, since neither of us would speak a word of Spanish. Oh well.)

Anonymous Anonymous: And if you don't know what a "your mom" joke is, I'm sorry to hear that. Inform yourself here.

Blogger Fin: "Your mom is so dense not even intelligence can escape her." - Aaah. Godda love it!

In Ireland it seems to be mam or mammy, which sounds really good in an Irish accent, but certainly not in any other.

"That?s quite illiterate" - that made me physically laugh out loud.

Over here "mum" also stands for keep it shut, in the idiom (ooh, use the idiom website I posted) "mum's the word", which could also be used in the phrase "keep it mum".

It is, however, a very old saying which only old people tend to use. If one if my friends from school said that to me I would literally say WTF, because it would sound sooooo strange.

Anonymous Anonymous: Oh, that's an American idiom, as well.
Although I can imagine the old 80's British comedy shows that they play on TV:
"Once you've turned off the lights, Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your aunt, but mum's the word."

Blogger Fin: Lol yeah I think I saw that one, Kevin :D

Sparrow, they're funny because they're stupid, lol. Yomama! :D


Free Web Counter